On Monday, Rusty and I went on a road trip. Not a long one mind you, just 30 minutes, but we got out of Gaithersburg. We drove up to a town called Fredrick which is about 30 minutes north. As you drive the highways here, you can watch deer feeding a few feet off the freeway. While we were driving to church on Sunday, we passed a dead one on the road. They are small compared to the ones we are used to seeing at home, but it's nice to feel a little like I'm not consumed with the city. The trees are thick, almost to the point of claustrophobia here and I couldn't help but wonder what kind of colors spring and summer will bring.
The purpose of driving to Fredrick was nothing glamorous. We went to fill out baskets with the bounties of Wal-Mart Super store and Costco. We saved around $40 on our monthly grocery bill doing that. It will become a weekly trip we decided. While in Wally world, we happened to check out baby toys. Brylee is learning to stay steady on her feet and move around so we wanted to check out some toys that would be good to help her. Plus, she turns 1 in May. Can you believe that? My mind can but my heart certainly can not.
As we are trudging down the toy aisle, I stopped at a certain toy that holds fond memories for me as a kid. While young, I used my glowworm to be my nightlight at night. Even though it had a hard plastic body, I slept with it consistently. They have made strides at making the faces much more appealing and I couldn't help but stop when I saw it. I took it and handed it to Brylee to test her reaction (Rusty thinks I am crazy for testing her but if she hates it, is there really any reason to spend the money?). She LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it! She would kick and squeal and laugh as we pushed Mr. Glowworms chest, and he would light up and sing to her.
Next was Costco, and she was already two hours past her nap-time. We opened the toy and for the rest of the trip, all we heard was the sweet gigglings and squeals of our almost 1 year old. A lady stopped in Costco and asked "Is she always that happy?" I couldn't be more proud to say that most of the time, yes she is.
(Would have tried to sneak a pic of her sleeping with him, but she is a light sleeper and would have woken up.)
No comments:
Post a Comment