On September 14, 2009, Rusty walked onto a plane headed to Miami, Florida with no idea when we would be together as a family again. I have to say, I have been really excited for this time. Of course, I'm not excited to be away from him, but excited that we have this new adventure and that Rusty has the chance at a career he can love and grow with. I love a happy husband! So, the weekend before was AWFUL!! I know Rusty would say the same thing. I think we knew what was ahead so we ended up fighting most of the weekend. The stress of moving, Rusty memorizing 21 pages of stuff for the new job, and knowing we were going to be a part for a while made us both on the edge of every nerve. That morning, I drove Rusty to the airport and went in with him to wait. I didn't realize how hard that was going to be. My little girl was tired from us waking her up, I was crying (surprise, surprise), and Rusty was stressed, nervous, and excited. We sat there for a while and finally, I couldn't take it any longer and told Rusty that I had to leave. I needed to do it fast like a band aid. So, I said goodbye to him and watched him hug and kiss on Brylee. I have never liked goodbyes, but this one was definitely the worst! I pretty much threw Brylee in the stroller and ran away. I got to the elevator and some old couple watched me like I was crazy cuz I stood there crying.I got to my car and ended up staying there for another 20 minutes because I couldn't see to drive. I cried off and on that whole day. My Father in law was sweet enough to call and ask Brylee and I to dinner and it was a welcome reprieve from the crying. I was so grateful to hear Rusty's voice when he told me he had touched down OK but I knew at that point, I would always feel like he is a million miles away. I still do most of the time. I have figured out that nights are the worst. I can keep myself fairly busy throughout the day with Brylee, laundry, and other stuff, but once she goes down for the night at 7:30 pm, I am TOAST! I'm sure any woman who's husband travels can understand that it gets a little lonely. I have taken up reading A LOT!! I am grateful that every night we are able to talk and pray and read scriptures together. I guess we just have to find little ways to stay close. Even though it seems I am not able to handle this, I really am. I also know this is what we are supposed to be doing, but sometimes, I just don't want to. Is that bad? This is a huge blessing in our lives and some days I am just plain rotten and ungrateful.
I do have to say that Rusty is doing great and loving this whole experience. He is learning so much, and we have seen blessings come when he has needed them the most. He has been in Chicago for one week and has one week left. From what he tells me, it's pretty intense but he's in doing well. He gets to come home this upcoming weekend and we will finally be able to go to church together! YEA!! Now, we are just hoping for things to move quickly so we aren't apart any longer than we need to be.
9 comments:
Oh Ash I know how hard it is! I did it most the summer and its horrible! It really is like half of you is just gone. Hang in there!
I hope it goes fast for you. It will make you guys even stronger as a couple as hard as it is.
Awww, I am so sorry. It is so hard saying goodbye and having them be so far away. I hope it gets easier for you. I am praying he gets placed soon after BMS so you can move on to the next adventure.:) If he comes back here to Miami you HAVE to come it's not an option it's a must!! It would be so fun.
PS. Colt loves Rusty, he loves trying to fight him. I don't even think he stops to say hi or anything when he sees Rusty he instantly starts punching lol.. He must think he needs it.. ;)
Ashley,
It will be worth it in the end but I can't imagine what you are going through right now. When Jake is out of town I can't sleep and am so anxious for his return. I can tell you are such a great Mom and wife!
Rusty,
Work is just not the same without you. Seriously, Steve just rocks back and forth under his cube and says your name. It has been rough for him. Thank you so much for your sweet post on our blog. I think about you, Ashley, and Brylee and can't wait to hear updates of where you guys are going to end up!
Oh, Girlie - I'm thinking about you guys and every time I drive past your house, I look for your mailbox. I'm happy to hear Rusty's doing well and that the time for you to be together again is getting closer! Hang in there! When you're down this way again, call me and we'll do lunch! :)
I feel your pain sista!!! Hang in there it will be worth it! That would be fun if he went back to Miami you could go to:) I am thinking about you, glad you get to see him this weekend! It is so fun seeing them after you have been apart for so long:)
This is Kathleen Davis (your ma). I wanted to talk to you Sunday after you bore your testimony but I had to run to primary and didn't get the chance. I wanted to see your baby and visit for a second. Anyway, your testimony was good and your baby is beautiful!
Hey! I saw you at church on Sunday, but never got over to say hi (I ended up subbing primary). I hope you have enjoyed your weekend with Rusty. I can't imagine how hard that all must be. I am so glad that you guys are doing the important things together still. You guys are awesome!
I got so behind on your posts! I loved the pictures of Brylee in your previous post, she is so cute guys! We were so happy we got to see her. Good luck with everything your family has going on right now. We're happy that you guys are happy!
Post a Comment