1/26/09

A great Christmas present


For Christmas, Dennis and Janet bought all of their kids a book, and it has been one of the best presents we have ever gotten. The name of the book is "A Total Money Makeover." I know that finances are a very touchy subject for many, for many good reasons. This is only a post to share with friends a book that I think is a great read no matter where you are financially. We haven't finished it completely, but I know we both are really grateful for it. The author is Dave Ramsey, and he is financial guru/radio host. He has a show on every day on the AM frequency. He is a christian author, and many times throughout the book he quotes the bible. The reason Rusty and I are such fans of this book, is that it helps to enforce and may explain in better detail the financial principals many Prophets have taught for years. He teaches to get out of debt, save for a rainy day, live much below your income, and over come common financial mistakes that many make. The part where he tears us all apart for "keeping up with the Jones's" is like nothing else. He writes very plain, understandable, truths.

Everyone right now is tightening, adjusting, and re-working their finances. I have a testimony of what living below our means has meant to Rusty and I, and we haven't always been very good at it. The few times that we have really paid attention, we have come closer as a couple and made major progress toward goals that we both have. So, take the suggestion or not, I thought I would lend a hand to those who may be wondering what steps they could take to make their lives a little better. If you get on his website, you can order the book for around $14-15. I really do hope this doesn't offend, but maybe help some who don't know where else to go.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Hey Ash, I saw the title to your post on another blog and had to check it out. Kris and I have taken the Dave Ramsey class and have to say that it is awsome! Haven't read the book yet but the class give tons of helpful info...it's great!

Laura said...

Thanks Ashley! I just ordered it off Amazon.