11/7/08

President-Elect

Ok, this will be the last post I make regarding this election or politics......... at least for a little while! I didn't have to work today and was sitting eating lunch when President-Elect Obama had his press conference. My first reaction was to turn it off, but I decided that what's done is done, so lets see how things go from here. I tuned in with almost an anticipation that he would say SOMETHING that I could agree with....and surprisingly, he did. Now, no matter what, his moral views in NO WAY reflect what I believe. I did not want a President who supports abortion or gay marriage, but our country chose differently. But today, I didn't want to disagree, I wanted to understand. So I listened. I didn't like most of what I heard. More giving to those who don't want to work for it. More "lets make nice with countries and let them dictate how WE run OUR country". But I think I saw some semblance of someone who WANTS to do good. Despite popular belief, especially within the church, we will not all die, be forced out on the street, and have all of our freedoms ripped from our hands tomorrow, because Obama is president. I am scared, I won't lie. I see the American Dream being forced out to give way to "Well, I don't really want to take that job, I think I'm better than that so I think I will just collect unemployment for another year." I see small business owners who are the back-bone of the American Dream being forced to close doors because there books state they make over $250,000, but bring home maybe an eighth of that. (Therefore more lost jobs!) BUT......we are americans. This is not the first time we have faced trials. This is not the first time we have faced recession. Our economy will grow, at least I hope for our sake it does. What I heard from President-Elect Obama today is that that is a priority. That I did kinda like. So, I lay to rest my feelings of "I can't even listen to the man talk anymore", and say, I hope you can do this. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY DO. Because I need it, my friends need it, my family needs it. I hope that you can find a way that those before you didn't to help this economy, without taxing the hell out of us. I really hope so. Good luck Obama!

1 comment:

Kiera said...

That was perfectly put Ashley! I agree with every word:) Thanks!