
With all of the election buzz going on, Barack having his own personal T.V channel (seriously?), Palin all over SNL (which is actually really funny), and the lies that go along with modern politics, I have decided to vent a little. I am not a news watcher. I pretty much come from my mothers point of view that we watch enough to know what's going on, but not enough to have to listen to every one's opinions on it. I think too many of us let others opinions of political candidates shape our view of them. For instance, Oprah. Not that I don't think she has done many amazing things with her "power", but she is not always the person who knows best. Yet, half of America decided how to live, raise children, exercise, and who knows what else based upon what she says every day for an hour. I have watched 2 out of the 3 debates. To tell the truth, I AM NOT THAT IMPRESSED EITHER WAY! So, this is how I break down this election year 2008! (warning:proceed at your own risk! This is pure opinion from a pregnant woman, take it as you will!)
1. I think too many times we have forgotten that this is the Promised Land. No matter how much "power" the President of the Free World holds, I know who is ultimately in control and in whom I can really trust. Especially after conference, I realize what true leadership is. I watched as there was no "hash slinging" as callings were made, and leaders sustained. O how grateful I am for the leadership of this church.
2. There is no right answer this year. We are in hard times. No one person knows how to fix EVERYTHING. I just hope that we as a country can make our voices heard for the person who has the best chance to help MOST things the way they should be helped. I really wish the US government would see how the church runs its affairs. So much would be solved!
3. No matter who ends up in office, (and yes, I personally am voting for Mccain), we as a people should still dictate the affairs of this country. It is us who will stand by and let them take away God from everything we hold dear. It is us who will watch as same sex marriage becomes a norm and my children will be forced to accept it. I know that I want my children to know that everyone is a child of God, and they should love them no matter their choices. What I do not want my children to learn is that certain moral choices are ok and good and be forced in their schools to accept it. I am sitting down today with the sample ballot that all registered voters get, and really making sure what the Propositions mean. Prop 102 is CRITICAL! There are a few propositions that are EXTREMELY important, and we have the OBLIGATION to make our voiced heard.
Lastly, no matter what T.V tells us, we live in the greatest nation in the world! We are a beacon to all those looking for freedom and peace. Even with the disturbances of today, we live the most peaceful lives of any nation in the world! You and I woke up this morning without wondering if bombs will rittle our neighborhoods today, or grateful that our house still stands. We have the men and women who VOLUNTARILY give their lives and time to protect us to thank for that! We go to the grocery store and still have the things we need. We don't stand in lines for rationed bread, meat, and milk. We have the most advanced medical technology in the world, and yes, we suffer from high medical costs, but what is the price for the worst? At least I can still go to the doctor when myself or loved ones need emergency medical treatment. We can all pay the same like they do in England, but have you seen the kind of care they receive? They don't even like their own health care system! I know we live in the greatest country in the world, I just wish more people would stop there endless moaning and complaining to realize it!
I am grateful for the men and women who I don't know, but serve me every day! I also thank their families!
I am grateful for clean, running water to drink and shower with.
I am grateful that someday, Rusty and I can own our own business, and dictate how it's run.
I am grateful I can walk my dog through my neighborhood without fear.
I am grateful to worship as I see fit. I am also grateful others can worship different from me.
I am grateful I have electricity to power my home and my AC in the summer.
I am grateful I was able as a woman to get an education and have a great career.
I am grateful my husband and I can both have jobs.
Just a few things that most countries hold as luxuries! So what are we really complaining about?
3 comments:
If we ever make it back to Mesa we will have a Murder Mystery Dinner just so we can invite you and Rusty! : )
Well said Ash... well said!
That's awesome Ashley, to put your opinion out like that! I totally agree with you, we do live in a great country regardless of the president and we should be grateful for what we have! thanks
Post a Comment