11/21/08

Free dog

So, I was cheerily talking with my sister on the phone when I arrived home from work yesterday. The day had been good, just long, and I was ready to be home and relax. I start to open all my downstairs windows to let the light in, when I saw how truly stupid my dog is.......truly! I scream in the phone that I have to go and I started to listen really closely to any water running. I look out my back window to see my water spiket going full blast. For a moment I was hoping that Kirk and Laura were soaking their backyard for some unknown reason.....but tis not so. This is what I looked out to find! What mom? Did I do something wrong?



My dog had somehow managed to turn on the water faucet outside. Who knows how long it was running, but the fact that we haven't had rain in a while and we had 1 1/2 inches of standing water tells me it was a while. When I got home he was curled up on a dry patch, pretty sure he knew he was dead at the first "BRONX!!!!" He came over to me very sheepish. I wish I had video....it's funny to me now. In the past two weeks he has: 1. Chewed right through our satellite cable, costing us $50 for repair after trying with no luck to splice them. 2. Taken after the cables to the A/C unit. We will be putting a gate around it. 3. Numerous mornings I have awoken(is that a real word?) to trash having been taken out of the trash can to my backyard. 4. Came home one day and found Rusty's new pair of tennis shoes hanging from the stupid dogs mouth. And the sad things is, he isn't allowed inside without us, so he's doing this stuff either while we are sleeping or busy doing other stuff.
Rusty gets a call from me usually once a day saying "Guess what your stupid dog did!" And usually it ends with Rusty laughing and saying "Well, he's a dog, what do you expect!" Which makes me mad and I reply with " I expect him to not tear all our stuff up!" To which Rusty replies, "Get used to it now, your kids are going to draw on the table or wall one day, (or like two of my sister-in-laws learned, they will leave the freezer door open so hundreds of dollars of food spoils.)" Or my favorite one "Honey, kids do stuff all the time, you have to learn to deal with it now!" That's when I think of my good friend Becky who's daughter flooded her bathroom and other rooms in her house when she was playing in a bath tub that was plugged up. At least my flood was in my back yard, not in my room. So, I guess for today he lives.......but seriously, only by a small thread!

1 comment:

britney said...

Ah! I just read that you are pregnant Ashley! Congratulations! That makes me so happy for you guys. Kids are a lot of work, like dogs, but they are so much fun and give so much back! IM excited for you guys and wish you the best of luck! :)