10/7/08

True definition of Irony

So, I just realized there was an important part of our weekend last weekend that I didn't post about. Like I said before, Rusty and I had taken that Friday to just spend time, him and I. We had an awesome day riding around the base of the escudilla and coming out in Alpine. We stopped at Bear Wallow and got some pie and ice cream, and then headed back down through Nutrioso to where we parked the truck. It was a beautiful ride as you can see from the pics below. However, we both were sick. We had come down with a cold a few days before, and I had been feeling sick for about three weeks. I couldn't figure out what was going on. When we went riding with the Maldanado's, the dust made it to where I couldn't breathe. I was supposed to head to the Womens broadcast with my mom and sister, but wasn't able to so we met up at Boogas for some salsa to make my throat feel better. It didn't settle very well on my stomach though and it worried me. So, the next morning I had Rusty run to the store to pick up a few things that I thought maybe would make me feel better. This is one of the items he picked up......

And YES, WERE PREGNANT! We waited to tell everyone until we were sure we had a stong heart beat and all, and we do! It's definitley a human in the making! I had asked Rusty to pick up a test just in case. I knew I had/was taking a lot of medicine and just wanted to make sure. I had taken one three weeks earlier that was negative so I was sure it was nothing. Rusty and I have taken probably 30 of these things in the last two years. We have a definite routine that we do. I "do my thing" and set the test on the counter. I wash my hands, we wait for the appropriate time, and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, we look at the test together. Rusty knows by this point that every neg test makes me a little sad. He begged me to wait until we got to the valley to take this but something inside me told me not to wait. So, this time, I "do my thing" and set it on the back of the toilet. As I was headed to wash my hands, I happened to glance at the test. I saw two blue lines but that didn't mean anything to me as I didn't know what a positive sign for this particular test was. I think to myself, "Oh, this one must need a positive sign in one of the windows to be positive." I wash my hands and grab the box to confirm what I already knew, that there was no chance I was pregnant. As it registers what positive is, I start to scream Rusty's name. I ran into the bedroom where he is laying on the bed (you can tell he didn't think we were pregnant either!), and I practically throw the test at him as I crumple on the floor and start to cry. I don't hear anything for a minute then "Wow". I look up and he has tears in his eyes! He tells me to come and lay down, and we lay there crying(me) and staring(him) for a while. One of the only things I remember Rusty saying was "There goes my boat!" Ha Ha! Later, I went to the car for the camera so we could take a pcture of the test for proof, and when I was walking back, Rusty was there on the porch, crying and he grabbed me and told me how excited he was. It was amazing! Really, we are soooo excited!

I do have to say though, it is ironic that I found out three days after I finally had the courage to talk about my feelings of our trouble getting pregnant. No, I didn't know when I posted "Our Story" that I was pregnant. I didn't do it for attention or anything of that nature. I knew I needed to work through my feelings of shame and saddness. I knew that there were other people out there going through the same trails as me. I also knew that someday, if I could have children, I might have daughters who fight this same fight, and I could show them that I truly know what it feels like. For all of those reasons, I wanted to document how I felt about this time is our lives. It was something that consummed me everyday. I think maybe that when Rusty and I made the decision to start fertility in January, I stopped thinking that it was possible for it to happen naturally for us. I don't know why Heavenly Father waited until now in our lives to bless us with this little one, but maybe it had to do with the fact that I stopped blaming myself and relaxed a little. I had finally given in to His will and said, "Thy will be done", because I knew I could not "make" myself whole without His help. All I know, is that I know He loves me and He loves Rusty. I know that for two years He has heard my prayers and pleadings. I also know, that I have come to know of His love for me NOT because He allowed me to be pregnant, but I learned this through the two years of trying to follow the counsel to be patient and the comfort that was given. It is not because I am pregnant that I know he wants me to be a mom, it's because I have been promised to be so. I knew that I could have been a mom through other means. I am so grateful for this little one who makes me sick everyday! In my worst of days of not feeling very good, I think of what it felt like every time I thought I could have been pregnant, took a test, and found out I wasn't. That makes all the nausea worth it! So, mark your calendars folks, there will be a new Wilkins in May!

24 comments:

David and Meredith said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You two are going to be the best parents! What a special little baby this is to be blessed to have you as his/her parents! We are so happy for you! Thank you so much for sharing your story!

Enjoy the Journey said...

Ashley,
I have been waiting oh so patiently for this post! I heard through the grapevine that this was so, but I thought that I would wait until I actually heard it from you just in case. I AM SO EXTREMELY EXCITED for you guys! You are both going to be the best parents ever and I can't wait to meet jr. in May!

Justin & Carli said...

Congratulations! I couldn't help but have tears in my eyes as I read your post. Justin and I struggled for almost two years to get pregnant with Emery. Although everyones trials are different I can somewhat relate here. We are so excited for you guys! You will be awesome parents!

Kates said...

What an amazing story!!! I teared right up. I am so happy for you both.
Katie (Davis) Hunt

Lola said...

Ashley & Rusty, I just want to say congratulations! I read your previous post and could not comment because I could not find words to describe the emotion I felt. My own mother struggled for over six years to become pregnant and when I read your post, it was like reading my mother's journal. It is a journey I knew well through her eyes and I feel as though I am more loved by my mother because of her desire to have a child. It is a precious gift and your baby will be blessed to have you as parents! Although I do not know the heartache of waiting so long, I know the joy of becoming a mother! Enjoy this journey and know you have support all around you!! Much love, Lola Hunt

Matt and Liz said...

YAY!!! congrats! that's so exciting

Rylee said...

Totally teary-eyed! I am so excited for you guys!! Seriously so awesome!

Becky said...

okay, so I heard about this last night and had my mouth agape, pen dropped, and tears in my eyes. I cannot adequately tell you how HAPPY I am for you and Rusty!

Linds said...

Rust and Ash, I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! That is so incredibly exciting. Can't wait to meet the new lil person come May!

Devin & Ruthann said...

Yea!!! I'm so happy for you guys! That's so exciting! Having little ones is the best! You guys will love it and be such good parents!

texas_princess1109 said...

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!! I about screamed with joy when I read this!!! Congratulations!!!! I am soooooo happy for you guys!!!!!! :)

Katlyn Papa said...

You made me cry! How exciting! I am so happy for you guys! There can never be enough cute little Wilkins kids in the world right? Don't worry the sick days will pass, and then you get a whole new set of problems to deal with, but I'm sure you will enjoy them all!

Jenn said...

I am still so excited to be pregnant with someone! How have you been filling?

Kristen said...

Ashley I am way excited for you guys. I wish you the best of luck with the morning sickness, but it is well worth it!!!

Denyse said...

Oh my heck I am so happy for you guys! I can't believe I talked to you Tuesday & you didn't tell me stinker!! You guys really will be the best parents! Hopefully you won't be sick for long, make sure you always have food in that tummy of yours :) Congrats!

Jake said...

This is the best news ever! I am so excited to see little Rusty in a few months!

The Herberts said...

Rusty and Ashley! We are SO excited for you! Congrats! I am thrilled to hear the news! Heavenly Father really does know each of us and our hearts! You are such great examples to all those around you! You are amazing and we couldn't be happier for you!!

Lisa said...

Rusty and Ashley

I started bawling when I read this post!! I am soo happy for you!

Lisa said...

Rusty and Ashley,

I totally started bawling reading your post!! So touching.

I am so happy for you two!! yay!

justin and sherrie said...

Congratulations! We are so excited for you guys. Justin told me the other day and then I just read your post and got tears in my eyes! That is so awesome! I personally thought the first ultra sound was the coolest thing because you measure how big this little baby is and he is just so small but so very much a human and you see that little heartbeat and it just makes you amazed at what an awesome little miracle you have growing inside of you. Good luck and keep us posted!

Kiera said...

I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU ASHLEY AND RUSTY!!!! This post made me cry! You are such amazing people, you're so strong and I can't even imagine how hard the last couple years have been for both of you! It really makes me realize that I cannot take this pregnancy for granted, even the hard times! Thank you for showing me that! You and Rusty are such fun people and I remember always talking about how we were the only 2 couple childless and it was so fun to hang out with you guys. When we got pregnant and you invited us to the lake we were like oh Rusty and Ashley are gunna hate us now cuz we left the club haha! Now we are all in a different 'club' together :)..We do need to get together! Thank you for sharing your story, I'm sure it was so hard, but I bet there are so many people out there that really needed to hear it!! You guys are AWESOME!

Whitings said...

Congratulations guys!

McKenna εϊз said...

Hey Sister Wilkins!! I love your story, Its so amazing!!! Just imagine being able to tell this story to your little boy or girl someday when they ask about when they were born!!! I've always thought that you would be the best parents!!! Im so happy for you!!! Congrats, I love You!!

-McKenna

Chelsee said...

WOW! congratulations. I got a little teary eyed reading that. what an exciting adventure ahead!