7/25/09

Scampers

Thursday morning I awoke in a great mood! I still had some time before Brylee woke up and needed to eat, so I took the opportunity to get stuff done. In my head I was laying out my "TO-DO" list. Eat breakfast, take medicine, start a load of laundry, pay bills, feed Bronx.......Oh wait I'll just feed him now. (Imagine me opening my back door to grab his bowl) HOLY CRAP!!!!! His water is moving! What the........





Yes folks, that is when I found him (or her)! Scampers had entered my life! He was treading water as best as a mouse can with legs 3/4 an inch long. His little paws pushed together as if he were doggy paddling (no pun intended). His little beady eyes looked up at me as if to say "Please save me!" He would peddle for as long as he could, then sink to the bottom. I would watch with anticipation to see if he would ever just give up and swallow. Soon enough a little bubble would escape his little lungs and float to the surface. I would think...."This is it, I am about to witness scampers last moments!" But, tis not so! With a burst of energy he would push off with his powerful legs and paddle again until he ran out of steam. I couldn't help but find compassion for this disgusting vermin.

We felt a real connection, this mouse and I. Lately, I know exactly what scampers feels like. The air, it seems, is just beyond my reach. I feel like I keep paddling and paddling and somehow I still sink every once in a while. Just when I think I will just swallow and give up, either friends, family, a smile from my daughter, or a kiss from Rusty, just gives me enough energy to push my way to the surface again. As I watched scampers swim, I knew I couldn't just let him drowned. That would be like me giving up as well. So, I called Rusty and asked what to do.

Now, as much as scampers and I are like "this" (imagine my two fingers crossed right now), I still don't want a mangy, dirty vermin running around my house! So, I did the only thing a rational person could have done. I put him in an old pot we were already throwing away, threw in a HUGE slice of cheese, and in went scampers. I walked with him to the trash can, wishing there was another way, but at last he went in. I like to think that he died of cheese overdose before the massive heat got him. So, yes, my actions resulted in the eventual demise of this mouse, but I guess I could just put him on the list of rabbits, cats, squirrels, an owl (shhhh don't tell anyone that one), and an already half dead dog that I have killed. Oh ya, and an elk! They will be lining the gates of heaven waiting. There has to be justice somehow for these animals!





So, thank you scampers for showing me that sometimes you really do have to "Just keep swimming!"

2 comments:

*Katie May* said...

poor little mouse I would have done the same thing. He is actually probably in heaven being at the dump with more yummy food :) But I know what ya mean we just got to keep swimming!

Stac said...

Love the analogy Ash.....My life feels that way too....your amazing to be able to look at that situation and come up with an answer to most of lifes problems! Oh ya hope you don't mind that I checked out your blog...so cute.