So, I am sitting here in a quiet hospital room, the only sound is the sound of the rocker Rusty is rocking my sweet little girl in. Sitting next to my husband and my daughter.....there are no words to describe how amazing this is! My husband is so sweet, I love him so much for being there with me through all of it. Truly I don't think I could have done it without him. Rusty got to tell things from his side, now I get to tell them from my side.
6:00pm-Check in at the hospital. Sign papers, talk to nurses (who were all awesome), and get IV in.
7:00pm- Place the Cervidil. This is a hormone that looks like a straw that just softens the cervix. It isn't supposed to give you contractions. Settle in for an hour in bed, and then hopefully a long night of sleep before they start the Pitocin.
8:30pm- I am up walking around the halls. I had started to feel cramps after thirty minutes of the cervidil. Now that I am up and walking around, I am not sure but I think these are contractions? They said I wasn't supposed to get these? Well, lets head back to the room and talk to the nurses.
9:00pm-The nurse tells me basically to "buck up" and that she would be finding me a broom stick to bite down on. Really funny!
9:10pm- Nurse decides to hook me up to monitor to see if I am right about having contractions.....I am. She gives me a half a dose of pain meds and gets me the ball to rock on. Because the contractions are all in my back, she thinks this will help. I am up for anything. She also tells me that I can't have my epidural until I make some type of change in dilation.
Less than one hour later.....I pretty much demand to be checked. She hesitates, but I think she could tell I wasn't joking. She checks me and I am dilated past 4 and fully efaced. Hmmmm....I knew I was in labor......why don't people listen? At this point I don't care who's right or wrong....my only question is where is Michael, my anesthesia angel?
Twenty minutes later.....Life is so much better!!!!
One hour or so later.......Nurse comes in to check me. I am dilated to an eight, and she keeps telling me how she can't believe how my labor is going. Now her words switch from "buck up" to "wow, I can't believe how your doing". A little victory for me. Now she is fast becoming my favorite nurse. She checks and my water hasn't broke quite yet, but it is close she says. My parents and sister show up, and Rusty's are on their way. The nurse tells me that she is going to take out the Cervidil to slow my progress. She is now afraid that I won't get enough of the antibiotics in before delivery. I asked if she notified my doctor. She said she would when we got closer. Ok.
A little while later, it's all starting to run together.......I am telling my mom and sister that I feel some pressure, but that I think it's just contractions. Nurse comes in to ask me how I am. We talk a bit and as she is walking out the door, my water breaks when she makes me laugh. Just before this, Rusty and my dad left for the cafeteria for some food. They left at 1:30am and at 1:40am my water broke. I tell the nurse and she checks me. Her eyes get REALLY big. I am dilated to 10 and her head is crowning. My mom and sister run to get Rusty as the nurse gets me into position. Rusty comes in with a quesadilla in his hand. She has me pushing while they are trying to get the doctor. No such luck....they page the doctor on call. She has me hold off pushing for 10 or so minutes while they wait for just A doctor to show up. Another doc shows up and gets dressed fast. In the meantime, Rusty can see that she has a ton of hair. At 2:18 am Brylee Rae Wilkins came into the world. She was crying and beautiful! They laid her on my belly and I fell in love! Her eyes were open, she looked at me, and I could swear she was trying to say "Hey mom, it's me!"
After that I kinda was in and out of awareness of what was going on around me. My sweet doctor made it into the room as Brylee was being suctioned. I was glad he got there for at least some of it. I really do like him. He patted my leg and smiled. I thought it was sweet. His words were "This baby wasn't supposed to be here until tomorrow!"
Rusty made sure she had all toes, and stayed by his daughter the whole time. I don't think I have ever seen him smile like that. He truly is an amazing dad. Since then, it has been a lot of learning for us. We are learning most of all that this is no exact science. She is perfect though, and I can't really imagine loving someone more. I don't know if this will make any sense, but she took so long to be conceived and it seemed like forever for her to get here, and it feels like she came so quickly. I am so grateful that I am a mom. I am so grateful Rusty is her dad. I can't wait to see her love him as much as I do. She already knows his voice. Heavenly Father made families for a reason...this I know to be true.
6 comments:
I am so happy for you guys and I can't wait to meet her! She couldn't ask for better parents. It's amazing isn't it? How quickly you fall in love there is nothing quite like it. I am so glad everything went so well and fast. Colt was like that it all happened so fast my doctor didn't make it either and I had 5 doctors (it was a clinic where all the doctors worked together) not one of them was there but the doctor who did deliver me was awesome. I still want pics I bet she is beautiful. I am going to be in Phoenix next week I would love to see you guys if you are up for it!
Oh my goodness how awesome!! I am so happy for you guys!!! Congrats!! But...we wanna see her!!
Oh I am dying to meet this little girl!!! Good job Ashley you did awesome!!!
WOW! You really did have a short labor and even shorter time actually pushing! That's awesome Ash! I enjoyed Rusty's play by play, but your post was much more informative. So, where are all the pictures??
I think you had my nurse when I had Brendon :) I was told that screaming wouldn't help anything. I should have kicked her to see if that helped! I need to come see that baby. I heard (from people that are not related to you, but Becky told me the same thing) that she is truly a beautiful baby!
Congratulations Guys!!! She is gorgeous! We are so happy for you... Hope to see you soon!
Post a Comment