3/12/09

Baby Brylee

Baby Brylee is on her way. I feel her move all the time, something I am so grateful for. I remember wondering what it would feel like to have another human move inside you. It's the most amazing feeling ever! She is growing just like she should. She is measuring a week ahead, but I am sure that will change constantly as she grows a lot in these next weeks. Church has become quite comical as we watch her acrobatics. A lot of the time I start laughing and can't help it. She is really funny to watch. As I said in my previous post, we are trying our best to get ready for her. There are many aspects of having a baby I never knew about. Little things to think about that I had no idea even existed. There is also something that Rusty and I get to prepare for with our little one. At our 19 week ultrasound, we found out she was going to be a little girl. We were both excited..... really Rusty was!! We had the ultrasound first, and then waited for our appointment with our doctor. When we were discussing the ultrasound, our doctor informed us that he was going to send us for a Level 2 ultrasound. Basically, more advanced equipment and they screen for more "anomolies". He then told us that there was a chance that her feet might be "turned in". Over the next week, I didn't think anything of it. I was determined that nothing was wrong, and just happy to see her face again.

The Tuesday after Christmas, Rusty and I went in for the Level 2. We got some amazing pictures, including video of her in 3D. The ultrasound tech asked if we knew why we were having this done. We told her that they had informed us that they were doing additional screening on her feet. She left the room after scanning and returned with the neonatologist (new born specialist), and they informed us that our little girl would be born with a birth defect called Club Foot. This affects both of her feet. Basically, her feet will look like this...


The did screen for many other defects such as Spina Bifida, Downs Syndrome, and any neurological (brain) problems. I can't tell you how grateful we are that she checked out ok with all of these scans. Her heart looks great and strong.

So, at first we were shocked. There isn't any clear cut reason for club feet. Some say it is hereditary, some say it is just how the feet position themselves in the first 12 weeks of forming. Brylee will be placed in casts as soon as possible and her feet will be manipulated into the right position every 4-5 days with recasting.


After 3 months, we hope that her feet will be in a "normal" position, and she will have a minor surgery to lengthen her achilles tendon. After this, she will wear what is called a Denis Brown Brace (we have already chosen to name it her snowboard!!), for 23 hours a day for as long as she needs to maintain the corrective position. The great thing is, after that, she will only have to wear the brace at night, and should be able to walk, run, and jump as normal as any other kid.


While it was a shock at first for Rusty and I, I have to say I am so grateful that she is healthy and growing normally. As I have done research on many birth defects, I am grateful that she is able to grow and develop normally and that this is able to be corrected. How grateful we are for our little girl. We had previously decided to wait to tell anyone until we had seen her orthopedic surgeon, but after finding out that we won't see him until after she is born, we decided to let those around us know. I know that people will wonder and ask when they see her for the first time. I know that they will wonder why this newborn is wearing casts. So, we made the decision to tell people ahead of time so that we can enjoy her as normal as possible. I keep joking with Rusty that we will have to "bling out" her casts for her baby blessing. So if anyone has any good ideas of how to do that, please let me know!!! Rusty and I just want to stress that we are not sad, and this is not a serious condition. While you never want to hear that something is wrong with your baby, there are many parents out there who deal with much more advanced issues than this, and and we don't feel it's right to make this seem as serious and as hard as what they face everyday. We are just excited to see and hold her for the first time, no matter what her feet look like!

12 comments:

Devin & Ruthann said...

Ashley, you and Rusy are amazing and will be the best parents! Your little girl is gonna be so cute!

Lola said...

Just a word of hope...my cousin was born with this birth defect, had the casts and surgeries, etc and 17 years later perfect as pie! Little Brylee will be so cute and perfect too!

Rylee said...

Wow! I am so glad she checked out good on all the other tests, what a blessing. She is going to beautiful and I can't wait to see her, or at least pics...oh and I really love the name you picked ;)

becki said...

She also lucked out and landed herself in an awesome family. We all know she is gonna be a rock star athlete no matter what so all is well. Love your attitudes and love love LOVE the name Brylee.

(ps. I would love to help you bling out her cast if you don't think of anything.)

The Herberts said...

Baby Brylee is going to be Beautiful! What great parents you'll be and what a great attitude! It can be so sad to see you little one going through things like this, but looking back it was and it continues to be ALL worth it. The good news is Carter has had 14 surgeries and doesn't remember a bit of it. AND so much better now than when they get 4 and 5 and are freaked out about everything - (yes, I'm talking about Austin). But really, it still can be hard for us parents and it is okay for you say that. With knowledge comes strength! Educate yourself so you know the questions to ask and are able to be proactive. We've found that has helped so much with our comfort level and our expectations. You'll be great! I can't wait to meet Beautiful Brylee! PS - I LOVE her name :)

Laura said...

Okay Ashley I have a few things.
First: LOVE the name!
Second: I'll help you bedazzle the heck out of that cast.
Third: If I don't get an invite to a baby shower I'm going to find out where and when it is and CRASH it! I can't wait to meet your sweet little Brylee.

Rusty and Ashley said...

Sweet....the bedazzler rides again!!!

Lauren said...

So Happy that she will be ok! And hello, dedazzle those baby casts :)Love you guys!!!

The Bottjer Family said...

I wore a "baby snowboard" brace like that when I was a baby too. You are very inspiring. Brylee is lucky to have parents like you guys.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ashley(and Rusty), it's Jill Rhoton. I just came across your blog, congrats on the baby! My brother Shane and his wife had their first little boy last August...he too was born w/ clubbed feet. He had to go thru all those things that you described. Shane is a dentist in the military so they are stationed in Fairbanks, Alaska but they got all of Tanners treatment in AZ. They are actually using him as a "poster child" for the hospital that treated him down in the valley. They had huge success with his treatment! If you are interested to know more about what it's like or the Dr.'s they used I'm sure my sis in-law Shannon would love to tell ya. If your intersted just send me an email, christensenjm@hotmail.com and I'll email you Shannons email(i don't know it by heart)! Once again congrats on the baby, kids are such a blessing!

Hulsey Family said...

You guys are going to be awesome parents for sweet little Brylee.. she is so lucky! Good luck with everything. It was good to see you a few weeks ago in Target. You look so cute prego! Take care. I can't wait for the pictures of your little dolly.
LaRae

Whitings said...

I LOVE the name Brylee. Have you thought of a middle name? I can't wait to meet her, only 10 more weeks, well 10ish I guess.