7/8/08

Ma and Pa Wilkins Family, Trek 2008


That's right, we were entrusted to be Ma's and Pa's?!?!?! Amazing right? This is a pic of our family. I love them so much! We had two girls that were supposed to be in our family that didn't show up and I have thought about them a lot, but these kids were....AMAZING!! Rusty and I were so busy getting things together that we decided to save ourselves some time and stay in Payson the night before. We headed up with our good friends the Heaths, (I'm so sad I didn't get a pic of us!) and bunked in together at the Days Inn! The next morning, I went to check us out dressed in all of my pioneer "garb", and the ADOT workers in the lobby eating thought I was a run-away from Colorado City for sure! One by one they stopped chewing to turn and stare! That's right boys....I am that cute! Anyways.....we got to the trek site at 7:30 and unpacked all of our stuff, met our incredible family, put the cart together, packed our stuff, and started to trek around 10:00 or so. At first it was slow going, some people just don't know how to push a handcart!! Finally we got to the tough stuff. We had to turn our carts around for a few down hill decents, but then we hit the "big hill". This was for sure a rival to "hell hill" from our youth trek. The kids did great helping other carts get to the top. I really was proud. Kids really are tougher than anyone tells them they are! We stopped and ate, (food by the way was top-notch, no rationing on this trek) which consisted of bread, salami with cheese, and and orange. Tasted so good! The kids got to shoot muzzle-loaders and then back to work. Everyone was pretty upbeat and positive until the sun went down. I could tell our kids were starting to feel it. Something about when the sun goes down that changes the mood. Rusty was amazing and was great about keeping the kids talking. One of our girls that we called "rodeo" had pulled so hard all day. Rusty and I were concerned that she would tucker out early. She got to the point where she just didn't have anything left. We pulled her off the rope and she just cried and cried. She kept telling me "Ma, I am not leaving our family! I can make it!" So she walked with me for a little while until she got her second wind, and we let her back on the cart. That night, one of our trail bosses (who happens to be from RV) got to a fork in the road. He and his wife prayed to know which way to go. He explained later that he had " a very strong impression that we should keep going straight", which we did. We walked on for about a mile or so. We then were stopped and told that we were heading the wrong way. As we turned our carts around, the kids broke. I mean the kind of break where there is no more talking, no more jokes, no more energy. I knew at that point that this trek would be successful for our little family. The physical body sometimes needs to break in order for the spirit to take over. Our kids were awesome! The second set of trail bosses came by to tell us to stop, they had lost three handcart families. As our family knelt down in prayer that the families would be found, I began to feel the days events as well. I could tell that blisters had decided to make their way to my feet, mainly my toes. The next two and half miles seemed like eternity. Rusty was amazing as he pulled us into camp. We were able to get some chili for dinner, have prayers, and send our kids off to bed. Rusty and I then set up our tent and turned it in.

The next morning came way to early! Rusty and I rose to get breakfast started and get the kids up and moving. As I stepped on my left foot, I knew it wasn't good. I had seen Rusty putting on his boots and knew his weren't any better. Oh, well right! At least we had shoes I kept telling myself. The kids packed their stuff as I made the oatmeal and Rusty helped kids with some moleskin. We were called to a Ma and Pa meeting. President Cluff proceeded to tell us about three kids who were taken to the hospital for exhaustion and dehydration. All three had returned to camp and were sleeping in a trailer until we made it to base camp. I remember the spirit being really strong as Denver Wilkins (Rusty's cousin) told the camp about the experience he had with the youth and their parent's at the hospital. All three asked to rejoin their families! We broke from the meeting and had the opportunity to gather our family and talk about the events of the day before. What a special time that is, to talk as a family. I am excited to gather my children around Rusty and I and hear them talk about their testimonies. It really was special. I think that is where we came together as a family. We then started to trek again. Now, I need to confess a little something. During the planning of this trek, I was afraid that this would not be a difficult enough experience for the children to learn what they needed to. I found out the second day that I was very wrong. After pulling for about 1/2 mile, we started the women's pull. I had been pretty emotional that morning knowing what would happen to me and the girls. I knew we were a pretty small family to begin with, not to mention with just us girls. I prayed that the Lord would be with me, I knew I was all that these "little" girls had to push this cart. We started pushing up the hill and it was ok at first. Rusty had taken the water from the cart and walked right by me. I could feel his hand on my back. Then, I began to feel the energy leave, my legs were on fire and I started to look to the top.....it was way to far away! Then, as I knew He would, Heavenly Father sent help in the form of our Stake YW President. She got on the back of the cart with me and pushed. I cried as she whispered that we had done a good job and told our young men to rejoin their family. The rest of the trek was by far much harder than the trek I went on as a youth. We walked 5 miles the second day...all up hill. Just as you thought it was starting to top off, the road would switchback to another 300 yards of uphill. We learned that day that sometimes you have to let your pride go and ask for help. I also learned that day, what an amazing man I married! Rusty pulled that cart for us that day. We all helped, but really he did it! I gained trust and respect for him in such a new way! I thank Heavenly Father every day that I married that guy who was "just a good friend"! Once we made it to base camp we unloaded, set up camp, had activities, and ate a great dinner.

The next day was our sabbath. I could go on and on about the things that I learned that day, and I know Rusty could as well, but I will just say that it was a great day. That last night was our testimony meeting that went for 3 hours or so. Great testimonies were shared. One of my YW from my ward who is not a member expressed her feelings of finally being ready to "enter the waters of baptism."

The next morning, the camp arose with an amazing energy. The carts seemed so light as we marched our way back. When we were about 1/2 a mile from the end, our oldest son instructed me that the family wanted to pull me in on top of the cart. I refused so they told all of the girls to get on top. We did and our brother/sons did a great job of pulling us. Of course...I cried! What an amazing act of giving! The last few yards we were asked to walk in silence to reflect on the experience (kinda didn't work since everyone was so excited) but Rusty pulled me off the cart. I kept telling him that I wanted to help pull the cart in with the family, but he told me that he wanted our family to have the confidence that they did it. We arrived so tired, excited, and dirty. It truly was one of the best experiences I have ever had.

When I was a youth, the trek allowed me to finally realize that I had a testimony. That experience carried me until I was married as the best thing I had ever done. My testimony was so strong. Now that I am showered, and have somewhat been able to rest, I realize that this trek was important to me for different reasons. I learned a lot about my husband. I am ashamed to say that I take him for granted more than I care to admit. I learned what it is like to worry about others more than yourself, even when you don't think you have anything left within yourself. It must be what it is like to be a parent. I worried so much that my kids were ok, that they were feeling the spirit, and what I could do to help them understand that their Heavenly Father knows and LOVES them.

I joke with Rusty that I have done this as a youth, as a Ma and Pa, and the next time better be one the back of a horse or quad! Really it was hard but I wouldn't have traded any moment for a cool house, warm shower, or cuddly bed. It really was awesome!

No comments: