1/9/08

Reason for the Season

I know that I have been horrible at posting but I wanted to post about how our Christmas went. We had a GREAT Christmas! I can't think of a better one! I started early with the decorating and with the music playing in the house, which Rusty just loved!! I think that all of that started me in the spirit of the season but then something happened...I was asked to speak in church. I was asked to give a talk on what Christmas meant to me. For some that may seem like an easy topic, but for me, it wasn't. As I tried hard to prepare something that would bring in the spirit and help keep people's attention, I got a bit frustrated. I think (or hope), that everyone knows the reason for Christmas. I wanted to be able to help illustrate that Christ is in the little things that happen in the season. You don't have to sit and contemplate the Atonement for hours although I am not discouraging it in anyway! What happened to me out of that frustration was pretty awesome! I was able to spend time around family a lot that week and I started to see the things that Christ takes joy in. Our families sitting around the kitchen table laughing at each other, or at nothing at all! I watched my nieces and nephews in the excitement of Santa have so much joy singing Christmas songs. As I studied and prayed, I realized that I truly do have a Savior. It's not something I say because I hear others say it on Sundays. I realized that I am grateful for Christmas not because of His birth, but because of the sacrifice he made for me, and the blessings that come from it. I was able to sit back and find joy in giving gifts and surprising people. So, Christmas morning was just the topper to an already great holiday for me.

Since Rusty and I moved into our house, we made the decision to have Christmas morning at our house. We figured that it would be easier that way when we do have kids to already have the tradition established. Plus, we have so many nieces and nephews close that we still get to experience opening presents with family. Rusty woke up at 4:30 that morning so excited to give me my gifts (and to get his!). He waited to wake me up until 5:30. I showered really quick and we went to open gifts. He got me the fireplace that I wanted. His Christmas centered around all things golf. (Surprise, Surprise!) We were both extremely blessed this Christmas. We then got to take turns at his sister Becky's house, and my brother Mike And Chris and their families. Two days later we headed up the mountain to RV to see my family. It was such a fun weekend. It was super cold, but there was snow on the ground and you can't beat that! We played a lot of guitar hero at at my sisters, and suckered them into buying the UFC fight that was on! Great fight by the way! All in all, we have had a great holiday. Unlike past Christmases, I was ready to take down the decorations and get ready for 2008. I feel so grateful for everything we have been given! We have everything we need and a lot of stuff we probably don't need! We have great friends and family! We have the the knowlegde of our Savior and the blessing of eternal families. So, to all of that I say, Bring on the NEW YEAR!!

No comments: