1/28/08

'All is well! All is well!'



So, last night Rusty and I met with the rest of the stake at the stake center for our first official Trek fireside with the youth. As we sang, and the speakers spoke about the trials and blessings of our pioneer heritage, the spirit was so strong! When we came to the close of the meeting, we sang "Come, Come Ye Saints." I noticed a man come to the pulpit to tell our Stake Presidency something. Everyone started crying. I did not find out until later that our Beloved Prophet, Gordon B Hinckley, had passed away. After the meeting I was talking with some of our young men and one of them mentioned, "Isn't it ironic that as the prophet passes, we are singing 'All is Well'? I have had the night to reflect on it and how fitting it was for many to find out as we are singing a song of great faith and sacrifice. What a testament not only to the saints who walked in miles of snow and sleet because they had faith in Christ, but also, what a perfect song to illustrate a life so well lived. I have a bit of a different reaction than many may have had. As I read articles this morning, I did get a bit teary eyed, but for the most part I can't help but be extremely excited for the blessing of eternal families. President Hinckley promoted faith in Christ, the importance of temple work, and that the family is the central unit of this gospel. I am so excited now that he has the chance to enjoy the blessing of what he has worked 97 years to have....an eternal family! I can't imagine the reunion that took place! I have tried to imagine how it was. The thought of him embracing his sweet wife after being apart. So sweet and exciting to think about! I received many phone calls after the fireside from my young women. As I talked with one, she just sat and cried on the phone. In fact, we didn't do much talking. I am grateful that they love their Prophet so much! I pray that they will have the faith necessary to follow his teachings.

I am grateful for the perfect organization of the church. I think of when Joseph Smith was killed. The saints waited in anticipation to know who their leader would be, but no matter what, the Lord provides for His people. I am grateful to know that the next prophet will be for this time, for a great purpose, and will be what the world needs at this time, just like President Hinckley was for the past 13 years. Thank you President Hinckley for the many years of faithful service, unending love, and the example of humor and humility that you showed! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!


Come, come, ye Saints, no toil nor labor fear;
But with joy wend your way.
Though hard to you this journey may appear,
Grace shall be as your day.
’Tis better far for us to strive
Our useless cares from us to drive;
Do this, and joy your hearts will swell—
All is well! All is well!

3 comments:

Ashlee Martin Smith said...

The Sunday after Steven and Kaelsey Rogers passed away, we had the trek fireside for our youth to watched the video from our trek, and I had to lead the music, and we sang "Come, Come Ye Saints" and as soon as we got to the "and should we die before our journey's through..." "All is well, All is well" I had the same opportunity to reflect on the great blessings that we have and how The Lord has a plan. Isn't it great to have the gospel? :)

britney said...

hey ashlee - i saw your blog and i just wanted to say how cute you and rusty look together. I think it was rusty that pelted my leg a million times with a paintball gun and left bruises for over a year. FYI - I finally forgive him! lol and your new addition is stinkin cute too! I know its been a while since you guys got married - but congrats!

Jake said...

Hi Ashley,

This is Rusty's Co-worker, Maria! Thank you so much for those yummy cinnamon rolls...I need to get the recipe from you! I need to get your bread recipe in general because those rolls that you made were really good too. You are so sweet!