2/25/10

Interim thoughts....Edited

I'm sitting here listening to some red-haired chick sing on American Idol. I'll never understand why people do things to themselves that clearly don't make them look good. I really wish the Olympics would come back from commercial.

I have my feet up on our coffee table, the dishes done from making Rusty roast and potatoes, and my sick baby is finally sleeping though I'm not sure how long. It only lasted for 45 minutes at a time last night.

I'm listening to the wind whip, and traffic go by the balcony of our cozy two bedroom apartment. The wind a tell-tale sign of the wintry snow coming our way. Too bad since the five feet of snow from the last pounding they received out here on the east coast is just now melting.

And I just realized I'm happy.

Being the independent woman I am (or at least that I think I am), six months ago the thought of packing up and driving to Washington D.C to plant our flag was totally thrilling. I would literally get butterflies of excitement when I thought about it. However, on the day we did it, that was not the emotion I had. But...I have chosen to put that all aside and throw myself into this new life we are creating. I am choosing everyday to find things I absolutely love about not only Washington D.C, but about the people here.

See the people here are quite....rude. I never realized how once you cross the Eastern Time Zone, people are polar opposites. So, Rusty and I had quite fun making people be nice at Wal-Mart.

As a way of telling my husband how much I love and have missed him, I can say that families are supposed to be together. By that I literally mean the proximity to each other should be much closer than farther apart. It's amazing to watch Brylee open up and grow with Rusty around. Somehow, in all that time away from her, there was only one time that Brylee wasn't sure about seeing Rusty again. Every other time, she embraced him with open arms and somehow something was lit-up inside her every time. Somewhere along the Arkansas and Tennessee border she decided she REALLY needed to crawl. Ever since then she is our little tag along.

Rusty and Brylee are my everything and somehow, even though I have been a consistent grouch, he is always there to remind me that I am his everything as well. Even though I think he would rather kick me out on the stoop. Thank you babe!

I may or may not try to catch up with published posts. I haven't decided if I want to burden you with that, but I will post some pics of our latest happenings.

It's good to be back!

**** So this morning I woke up to read this post and it was as I feared...I sound bitter, grouchy, and ungrateful huh? So I thought I would shine some light on it. As I mentioned I try each day to find something I love, and today I did. Bry decided to get up really early so I left her with her Daddy for some "whoopins" (I'll explain later), and I headed to the grocery store. The big store out here is called Giant. Giant sucks. Like really, it sucks. It's expensive and I couldn't find any of the foods we normally eat. By expensive I mean people spend $3.76 a gallon for milk! But....this morning I found a Safeway and alas......the Wilkins family is SAVED!!!

First off let me tell you that everyone eats out here so if you walk around with more than 10 items in your cart you are a freak. That's why I appreciated the other woman who was busily filling her cart like me. She must approach shopping for food like I do. Get in...buy cheap....get out. I don't mess around.

Then it happened. It was AMAZING! I walked into the spanish food isle expecting to be disappointed again but instead I found this....


....and I knew we would be ok. They also had refried beans and diced green chilis! I'm in heaven! So, today I am grateful for you Safeway...for making my spanish food better, and making my day a little brighter. I think we will be just fine here in Maryland.

5 comments:

The Herberts said...

happy to see your post!! miss you guys!

Gabe Y. said...

Ah, it's good to be updated. Know that I think of you guys often and Miss you too. And yes, Giant does suck.

Kiera said...

WOW sounds exciting on the East side!! Your little girl is so freaking adorable!! I LOVE that big picture of her!!! We miss you guys!!!

janet said...

Such a fun post! (You should consider a literary career!) Love you and miss you SO much! Give Teeny Munch a giant hug and kiss from Grandma!

Rylee said...

everything is better with el pato! my parent's actually give all of us kids an entire case of el pato every year for christmas! glad to see the wilkins love it too and glad you were able to find it all the way out there in DC. keep updating and tell rust hi for me.