11/11/09

Road Tasted

We walked in on broken sidewalks, a door that's windows were hazy from time and humidity, and sat down in chairs from the 70's. I could see the leather on the booths were torn, there was wood paneling on the walls, and the menu was on the old white board that the letters snapped in. On the walls were old photo's in old frames of family of the restaurateurs. The building was worn and not in a good neighborhood. I was sitting in this old restaurant with my husband and daughter, with some of the best food I had ever eaten. I don't normally crave BBQ, I actually don't like to eat it much. But.....this was beyond words. I truly understand now that there is a difference in BBQ. I am a hands in the air, singing Hallelujah, fan of Memphis-Style BBQ!

Pat and Gina Neely have their own show on the Food Network. They started their family restaurant in downtown Memphis in the 90's and now have three in the state of Tennessee and ship their BBQ creations all over the U.S. I have always wondered if their food would be as good as it looked. I think I wonder that about any food network star. I have tried recipes that have allowed me to know food items I really hate. For one, I hate capers. Hate them. I also know that I like sun-dried tomatoes but sparingly. However, I liked EVERYTHING about their BBQ. I learned through my stay in Memphis that with BBQ in the south, you order it "dry" and add the sauce on the side. It is sweet and tender unlike Texas BBQ that is tender but spicy and tangy. I also hate cole-slaw...except for the Neely's. It was AMAZING. More of a mustard base, it was so good. So, anyone wondering if they really know how to cook, Rusty and I can attest that they do!






3 comments:

Mayhew Clan said...

Glad you guys are having so much fun!

Jenn said...

Send some of that BBQ up north to OH and we'll test it again City BBQ's. sound like a lot of fun. We miss you guys. Kayde

Cj-Sg said...

You guys have such a cute little girl! I love the Bee costume. Anyway, totally right on with the BBQ. I crave it, almost weekly, but I've never been to this joint, just Joe's BBQ back in good old Gilbert, AZ. Sounds like you are living it up and having a great time. Happy New Year from the Wilsons!

-Chris