6/13/09

Dr. Segal....and casting #1

The time has finally come. She got her first set of casts on on Thursday. It was a rough day all around when they did blood work first and then put her casts on. I guess it was good that it was done and over in one day instead of dragging it out. Dr. Segal is amazing. I love that when he comes in to see his patients, he makes you feel like your child is his only patient. He just kept talking to us about how being a parent is the coolest thing there is. He is definitley on my Christmas card list. If I did Christmas cards.....


Here she is totally happy before the casts. This is the last time we saw her feet. They will never look like that again!




Dr. Segal said that he was very encouraged at how they looked. On a scale of 1-4, with 4 being the most severe, Brylee was a two. I was so grateful to hear that. So, the work began and she did fine with the first leg. I was feeding her a bottle and she didn't seem to notice what they were doing.






Then, she finished her bottle before they were able to do the second leg. She made the doctor work for that one. She screamed and turned her body the whole time. No pacifier was going to help. She screamed until she pretty much passed out. Poor girl slept all the way through dinner and the whole way home. She was tuckered out!




The casts are wet and heavy for the first 24 hours and then they lighten and become hard. Through the first night, she cried a lot. I could tell she was uncomfortable. We kept lots of Tylenol on board and rocked a lot in the rocking chair. The next day wasn't a whole lot better but this morning.....I have to say, I am a happy mom! She is awake, kicking her feet, and in a really good mood. We went on a two and a half mile walk, made breakfast, and are going shopping later.


I realized how amazing doctors are. I guess because of my profession, I take that for granted sometimes. Dr. Segal was amazing with her and I am so grateful to have someone working on my daughter who I trust completley. It was an answer to prayers that we found him. I have to say Thank You to Shane and Shannon Rhoton (and Jill), for helping us. They were there to answer questions and give us support. It means a lot!

We will update every new casting (for journaling sake) but this set of casts he wants to stay on for two weeks. Wish us luck!

7 comments:

Denyse said...

Ash! I knew your baby had to be here by now...she is absolutely adorable!! Seriously, the hair...your going to have lot's of fun with it I'm sure :) Congrats to you both, I'm so glad she's a happy baby now...I found out I was starving Kadence for 4 days and I felt terrible. Thank heaven for bottles :) Good luck with everything, you guys will be the best parents!

David and Meredith said...

Thanks a lot! I thought I was done having babies, but seeing that sweet, little girl of yours makes me want another one SO BADLY!!!

{The Rhotons} said...

We saw Dr. Segal a couple of months ago and he told me he had the pleasure of meeting you. I am so happy that someone else is so fortunate to be treated by him and have such an appreciation for what he does for our little ones! Isn't he just the best? Just keep loving every second of Brylee because it is seriously the time of your life!!! I'll send you an email to update you on Tanner and the crawling stage (AHHH!)

Shannon & Shane

{The Rhotons} said...

We saw Dr. Segal a couple of months ago and he told us he had the pleasure of meeting you. I'm so glad that someone else has the opportunity to be treated by him and understand what a wonderful thing he does for our little ones! Isn't he just the greatest? We are so happy for you and all I can so is enjoy every second of Brylee because it is the time of your life. I'll send you an email to update you on Tanner and the crawling stage (AHHHH!!!) Good luck and hang in there.

Shannon & Shane

Josh and Amber Wilkins said...

she is as cute as ever!! I hope things go well for you guys! Let me know if there is anything you need! Anything at all!!

Hulsey Family said...

Your little one is so precious. You two are amazing examples to me about being positive and trusting in the Lord...thank you so much. Rusty..I love the play-by-play that was awesome! Congrats to you!

*Katie May* said...

didn't even know you guys were having a baby! So congrats are in order! She is beautiful! I had a friend whose little boys had club feet and they did they same procedures and turned out great so I am sure hers will too :)Congrats again.