9/19/08

Back to Life Again....

I love living in the valley and the awesome people we know and get to be around. With how much Rusty and I love the lake, the summer fits us pretty well, however, I HATE THE HEAT!! I do pretty good all summer, but usually start to resent living in the valley this time of year. I always get caught in the trap between now and Halloween because no matter how much I will it to, the heat does not relent until after Halloween. But, even with all of that, there is no time of year that makes me as happy as Fall and Winter. This time of year, I start to live again! I have been thinking this last week of all of the things I am excited about for the upcoming holiday seasons. 1. FOOTBALL!!!!

I love watching football! I would prefer to do it when I get to bundle up with a coat and scarf and take hot chocolate with me, but no matter what I love it! I even enjoy watching high school, every once in a while!
2. Holiday decorating....... Decorating my house is one of my ways of celebrating the season. I feel more apt to feel grateful and close to the spirit when I turn on music in my house, and just enjoy decorating.I also tend to get in trouble with my checkbook during this season.... dang Rustic Hutch!
3.Hot chocolate.... You usually won't find me drinking this three or four times a day, but every once in a while, after a long hard day (night) at work, nothing does it like hot chocolate! I remember one year gathering as a family at Grandma and Grandpa's to watch the Holiday parade. Grandma would always make a huge pot of hot chocolate, and no matter how hard I try, I just can't make it as good!
4. The smell of my house... I love candles, but when this time of year rolls around, my favorite smell in my house is my homemade spices. I add pumpkin spice, oranges, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice, and bring it to a boil in water. It makes my house smell amazing and helps to keep moisture in the air when we get really dry!
5. Traditions.....There are two traditions that are my MOST favorite! Rusty and I started this first one a year after we were married. We make mini pumpkin breads and take them to friends and loves ones. I think last year I made 25-30 mini loaves! It was a full day of baking and delivering, but so worth it! (Thanks to Kylee for helping get them all delivered!) Also, my Mom's famous Veal Parmigiana for Christmas dinner, it's unbeatable! It's that one thing all of us kids expect every year! Rusty and I decided that early on we wanted to make traditions for our family. Since no kids have arrived on scene yet, we still have many more to go, but I love that we both are big on making and keeping the traditions of both of our families and the ones we make together!
6. Elk bugling.....Many of you may not know what that is, but it is the mating call for Elk. During the fall is when early hunting starts, and also the "rut", which is the mating season. During this time, we head up on the mountain in early morning or late in the evening, and listen to the Elk "talk" to each other. It is pretty amazing! One year, my family was out bugling. They were calling the Bull in, when my brother crawled up next to a log and fell asleep. Next thing my family knew, the Elk had come and was standing there straddling the log and my brother. He never even knew what happened, he had slept through the whole thing!

I know this post is long and probably doesn't mean anything to anyone, but it is important for me to remember the things that bring me joy! Last year, I had one of the most amazing holiday seasons. I didn't have anything huge happen, no gifts that cost millions, but I think I took the time to settle down, listen to the spirit, and truly understand the little joys of life. I felt this spirit so strong sitting in and listening to children sing Christmas songs. Rusty got to play Santa last year for the ward, and I cried watching those children jump on his lap with the most wide, expectant eyes, knowing that something special was coming. I got to sit with family during Thanksgiving and help Jennie and Janet make fun of Dennis with the sweet potatoes! For how crazy our summer has been, I can't wait to slow down, and watch and listen for life's sweet moments!

4 comments:

Katlyn Papa said...

Loved the long post. I know you guys are super busy, but it's fun to see what you've been up to. Looks like you have been having a lot of fun with friends and fam!

Becky said...

your bread is awesome!

Jenn said...

I am with you on this!!! This is my favorite time of year!

Kiera said...

Oh goodness you are making me SOO excited for these next few months!! I TOTALLY agree, I get SOO excited around fall/winter time,for most of those same reasons!! I cannot wait there is nothing like it at all!! The whole feeling! Your breaed IS amazing:).. I Remember it last year! I thought it was soo nice of you to make it for us!